EL RENO POLICE DEPARTMENT
For Immediate Release: 06-27-2012
With the summer months here we are seeing more "golf carts & UTV" being operated on city streets in both the residential and business district areas.
As a reminder to our citizen, to operate a standard golf cart or Utility Terrain Vehicle (UTV), the City of El Reno does have an ordinance which permits the operation on municipal streets; however there are requirements and restrictions for the operation of a standard golf cart or UTV. Any standard golf cart or UTV must display the city permit in plain view.
Municipal Ordinance 343-72: provides detailed definition of the golf-cart, UTV etc.
Municipal Ordinance 343-73: Provides a full description of the regulation and restriction for the use of a standard golf cart or UTV. Both ordinances can be found on the City of El Reno website at www.cityofelreno.com or www.ecode360.com/EL1819
As a brief review, commonly know “minibikes, “trail bikes”, all terrain vehicles (ATV) or other similar trade names are prohibited to be operated on city streets or highways.
Golf cart and UTV operation on any city street or roadway require:
- Driver to have valid driver license,
- Lap safety belt for all occupants,
- Operated during day a light hour which has been determined to be half hour after sunrise and half hour before sunset.
- Driver required to carry liability insurance covering the golf cart or UTV
- All golf carts and UTV while operating in the limits of the City of El Reno shall be restricted from operating on a street or highway with a posted speed limit greater than 35 MPH and shall not be driven at a speed greater than 25 MPH. .
- Driver of a UTV or golf cart upon a street shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by the laws of this state declaring rules of the road applicable to vehicles or by the Traffic Ordinances of this City.
- All such golf carts and UTV while operating in the limits of the City of El Reno shall have a Slow Moving Vehicle emblem which shall be affixed to the rear portion of the aforementioned vehicle.
- Passengers under the age of six years old are restricted from riding upon such golf cart or UTV, unless the driver of the golf cart or UTV is twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
- Register the golf cart or UTV with the Police Department
10. Purchase a City permit for such operation. (The permit will be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase.)
Thank you for your help in making the operation of these economical vehicles safe!
Ken W. Brown, Police Chief
City of El Reno Police Department