Mayor's Youth Employment Program
Jobs are difficult for anyone to get, but for a high school student, working in the corporate world seems like a far-fetched dream. However, the Mayor’s Youth Employment Program makes that dream a reality for high school students from the City of El Reno. The students get access to paid employment in the public sector. In addition to the job, the students get guidance and training from government employees. The training starts before the job, as students must complete an application and go through a job interview for what is usually their first time. Once they are accepted, students learn about the many aspects of being a good worker, including professionalism, time management, communication, teamwork, adaptability, and much more. The Mayor’s Youth Employment program provides student’s with a “real world” perspective right before they go into college, and helps improve their skills to make them better workers for both the job they receive from the program and any future jobs they may have. The Mayor’s Youth Employment Program is to provide El Reno’s youth with the necessary job readiness and leadership skills needed to compete in the global workforce.
What are the Requirements for Applying to the Program?
- You must be a current high school student (16 years and older) and resident of El Reno, OK
- You must be available for a twelve-week commitment from May through the beginning of August
- Complete a 30 minute interview
- Attend a mandatory 2 day training prior to the start of employment
- Attend mandatory Mayor's Youth Employment Program Kick-off Luncheon
- Program applications are available during the month of March in a fill-able form. If you cannot print the application they will be available at the High School Office.
- Please Note: the application can be completed in the fill-able form; however it must be printed and applications MUST BE hand delivered to City Hall. If you cannot hand deliver we will accept applications scanned to email ([email protected])
- Completed applications are submitted in PRINTED FORM to the City of El Reno's Human Resources Department. THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS NOT A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS - ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED BY EMAIL TO SET UP AN INTERVIEW.
2020 MYEP Important Dates:
Program Application Release: Monday, March 2, 2020
Program Application Deadline: Monday, April 15, 2020
Interview Period: April 2020
Mandatory Training Dates if accepted into program
Orientation: Thursday, April 30, 2020
Kick-off Luncheon: Friday, May 1, 2020
Work Start Date: Saturday, May 2, 2020
Work End Date: Saturday, August 1, 2020
MYEP Closing Ceremony: TBD